Thursday, October 3, 2013

EV3 - what is it all about

EV3 - what is it all about

The newest, at time of writing, LEGO Mindstorms box-set is called EV3. This blog will describe my experiments and (hopefully) insights into the workings of this toy.
I will be focusing upon the software that makes the Mindstorms solution work, but in order to fully understand the implications of a given design-choice, I expect to look into both the physical aspects of the hardware and (to a lesser degree) the usability from the users point of view.
My blog will be experiment-driven with little to no focus upon a overall coherency. My goal is to uncover and explore/experience fascinating details of how this brick works in relation to leJOS.

The box

Upon receiving the box I quickly noticed the high degree of similarity with the previous version NXT. To me, this wasn't a bad thing. The fact that LEGO tries to keep what worked from the previous edition seemed promising. Her is a few pictures:

Box from side, ~43 x 21 x 17 cm (space needed for storage)
Box from top
Opening the box up revealed a familiar sight:

Box initial
Box sorted

The actuators and sensors look deceptively similar to their NXT-version. From this point on, I naturally decided to explore what, exactly, the difference was between NXT and EV3.


No comments:

Post a Comment